For Lolo Foy on his 90th birthday


October 4, 2012

Dearest Lolo Foy,

Happy birthday! You turn 90 years old today and that is, by current standards, no mean feat.

I remember that the last time I wrote something like this for you was at your 80th, when we held a party for you at a function hall in Kamuning, Quezon City. I may have forgotten the name of the place but I remember that we had a tribute for you then as well.

Some apo I've turned out to be to have needed ten years to pass by before coming up with something new for you. I have taken you for granted. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. It seems that I have the better end of the deal in our relationship as lolo and apo.

I am just glad that I can stand in front of you and the family today to be able to thank you for all that you have done and continue to do for me. But more importantly, I am glad that I can tell you today, in front of every one, that I love you.

I am sorry that I have not told you this more often, thinking it's not macho for two men to express love and admiration for each other. But I do love you, Lolo. You are an inspiration to me and a great role model. I am who I am today because of you.

You have always cared for us so much. From the littlest to the biggest ways, you have shown us your love.

As a child, I remember that you would wake up in the wee hours of the morning to play solitaire, and at around 5:00 a.m. you'd put your cards back in the box, get your trusty bike and head to the bakery in the next subdivision. This you did to make sure that we'd wake up to warm pandesal for breakfast everyday.

I know this because, on some occasions, I, too, would wake up early and you'd take me with you. You even tied a little throw pillow to the frame of your bike that I could sit on when I go with you.

Thank you, Lolo, from that I learned about responsibility and the right way of providing for and taking care of your family everyday.

I remember back then you'd also help me with my assignments, particularly my math homework. I remember we had to go through lessons over and over for me to get them. I am just glad that you have always been pretty good with numbers and that you have always been patient with me.

Thank you, Lolo, you not only ensured that I pass my math subjects, you also taught me the value of studying and working hard to understand and achieve things. You taught me perseverance.

Likewise, I remember back then, as my legal guardian, you signed permission slips for field trips and school activities. You even brought me to those events and fetched me right after. You really took being a guardian seriously, didn't you? Heck, you took being Lolo seriously.

Well, thank you, Lolo, you not only allowed me to experience my youth and my life to the fullest, you also taught me the value of being there for family. You have always been there for me. I never felt alone.

Growing up, you'd continue being just who you are--a loving, sweet, sometimes makulit Lolo. But you always did your business in a quiet, simple manner. You to me are the epitome of “silent but deadly.” I could not remember any instance that you have asked for anything in return. Not once do I remember you asking for recognition. You just did things for us. You have always been steady. You have always been swabe.

Thank you, Lolo, you have taught me about humility, sacrifice, generosity, compassion and love. I hope that I would also be able to practice these traits and values everyday so that I can make you proud.

I remember 10 years ago I said that you are a Super Lolo. Well, I can no longer say that about you today. You have surpassed “super” already. You have become more than that. You are the Ultimate Lolo now. I bet if there were more Lolos like you, then this world will be a much better place.

Ten years ago, I was able to tell you that I think you're the greatest. Today, I reaffirm my declaration. You are the greatest, Lolo.

Thank you very much.

I love you.

We all do.

Happy birthday!

Your apo,

BJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm half gay. That makes me 1/4 female.

Adventure update

Inanities