Playing Fetch (Nina Series)


1 My alarm clock went off. I opened my eyes, grabbed it and hit the snooze button. It was only 7:30, five more minutes of lying motionless wouldn’t hurt, I thought. There was nothing to do anyway. Summer vacation was a great break from another year of tormenting academic responsibilities back in college. But being left at home with only Ate Melissa to keep me company was not what I had in mind. I have had it with noon time shows with gyrating girls.

2 I stared at the ceiling and began to think. A lizard suddenly caught my attention as it darted across. It was chasing a spider. I started to cheer for it. It was bound to get the little arachnid. It was fast and big, there was no escape. Or so I thought for the spider managed to jump off from the ceiling and swing unto a picture frame on the wall. Well, there would be other days for the lizard.

3 The phone rang. I reached for the cordless beside my bed.

4 “Hello?”
5 “Get your fat butt out of bed and do some exercise lazybones.”
6 “What do you want Nina?”
7 “How sweet, you remember my voice.”
8 “Right, now what can I do for you today?”
9 “Mom’s letting me buy shoes today. I’m going to Festival and I was wondering if you could accompany me. Please?”
10 “I guess I could do that. I need to stretch my muscles too.”
11 “Thanks, Red. So you’ll pick me up here?”
12 “Okay, bye.”
13 “Bye.” With that, she hung up the phone.

  1. The snooze alarm sounded. I took the clock and turned it off. I sighed. My day was set. I grabbed my towel and headed for the bathroom.


15 After a quick breakfast and telling Ate Melissa where I was going, I was on my way. The trip from Los Baños to Alabang would last for about an hour. It was enough time for me to reflect on why I was going through all this trouble for Nina.

16 I met Nina during the first semester of my sophomore year in the University. She was my classmate in Kasaysyan I. She became my seatmate. A theater major, Nina is blessed with impressive public relations skills. She did all the talking and I, the Psych major, did the listening. We both didn’t know anyone in class, so we stuck together. That was how we became friends.

17 Nina is cute but can be cuter when she wants to be. I remember several of my male classmates asking me to talk Nina into going out with them, which I didn’t do. She is also sweet. She once bought me a cupcake when I got a low grade in an exam. Her sweetness perhaps made it easy to get caught in her charm.

18 The class field trip to Pakil, Laguna, must have sealed our friendship. There was nothing like being seated next to a person who talks no end for half the day. After that I knew her life story. To be polite I also told her some of my life’s stories. I enjoyed that talk we had. Conversations with her had always been fascinating.

19 That was almost two years ago. But Nina and I kept in touch after the semester was over. We often invited each other for movies or plays. She had asked me to accompany her to several of her friends’ debuts and her organization parties. I had gone to her house and met her parents and she had gone to my house and met my parents and had both gone through the usual parental teasing of pairing us off. We just smiled at them and laughed about it when among ourselves.

20 “Good afternoon, Tita Lilay. You’re looking wonderful today.” I smiled at the woman who opened the gate for me.

21 She smiled back. Nina’s mother always had this cheerful aura about her. She was the type a person like me could joke around with, without fear of her taking offense. I liked her.

22 “Flatterer! That’s what I like about you, Red. Come in”
23 “Is Nina ready?”
24 “Just about, she’s just dressing up.”

25 Tita Lilay had me seated in the living room as I waited for Nina to dress up. I was just looking around the house when a cuckoo clock caught my attention as it indicated that it was noon.
26 “It is a gift from my uncle. He brought it yesterday,” Nina said, answering my unspoken question.
27 “Well that’s something new.” I said
28 “Lunch is ready. Let’s eat first.”
29 “You shouldn’t have bothered.”
30 “Mom insists. You wouldn’t want to offend her, would you? Besides, it’ll save us some money.”
31 I nodded my agreement.
32 I ate my lunch quickly and praised Tita Lilay for the wonderful Sinigang she cooked. Nina rolled her eyes and reprimanded me for flirting with her mother. I only smiled as I rose from the table. An hour later we were set for the mall.


33 It didn’t take Nina long to pick out a pair of shoes from the department store. Thirty minutes and we were done with her business.
34 “What do you plan to do now? It’s too early to go home,” I asked her.
35 “You want to watch a movie?”
36 “Okay, what’s on?”
37 “Well, there’s this art film showing at Cinema 10.”
38 One thing that fascinates me when Nina and I watch a movie is how we act sweet to each other. She usually lays her head on my shoulder or I wrap her in my arm. It’s kind of a little game we play that I must say, calms me.

39 “Red, hold my hand?” Nina whispered and I held her hand. Throughout the movie we remained that way; hand in hand and her head on my shoulder.

40 It was not that artistic at all. It was the usual movie. Boy meets girl. Boy befriends girl. Boy and girl maintain a “platonic” friendship. Boy and girl go out with other boys and girls. Boy sees how beautiful girl really is and vice versa. Boy and girl fall in love. They live happily ever after. The end.

41 “Where to next?” I asked as the credits start rolling on screen.
42 “I’m hungry. Let’s get a bite to eat. Treat mo ako,” she said and then laughed.
43 I rolled my eyes at her. “Fine!”
44 She chuckled. “Red, always the serious one. You don’t have to treat me. I could pay for my meal. But if you really want to…”

45 I just shook my head.


46 “Red, do you think I’m cute?” she asked while munching on a burger.
47 I almost choked on my sandwich as I fought to regain composure. “Why’d you ask?”
48 “Oh, nothing. I just need an honest opinion. So, am I?”
49 Taking a deep breath I answered with a “Yes my dear friend, you are.” I managed not to stutter.
50 “Thanks Red. I think you’re cute too. Makes me wonder why we don’t have love- ives.”
51 “Does it really matter? A love life, I mean.”
52 “Well, don’t you think about it some times? Tell me, what do you like in a girl?”
53 “You know what I like. I’ve told you a hundred times.”
54 “Humor me.”
55 “Well, she must be caring, sweet but above all smart.”
56 “Do you think I’m smart?”
57 “Where did that come from?”
58 “Well, just answer it. Do you?”
59 “No need to be uppity. Of course you are. That’s why we get along so well.” I forced a laugh and managed a weak snicker.
60 “Ah yes, ours is the perfect tandem, isn’t it?”
61 “Yes, that’s why I like being with you. You understand.”
62 “And you do, too my friend. You do, too.”
63 “I hope nothing changes between us.”
64 “I guess nothing will. We’re friends, aren’t we?”
65 “Yes, we are. Buddies even. You’re probably my best bud.”
66 “Thank you.”
67 “Well, just to return the question, what do you look for in a guy?”
68 “Well, he has to be physically presentable and as you said, caring and smart. And my parents should like him.”
69 “Sounds like me. I think your mom loves me already.” I chuckled
70 “Yes she does, doesn’t she?”
71 “Remember the first time I went to your house. Your dad thought I was a suitor and spent the whole afternoon interrogating me.”
Story came after story. We reminisced and, as usual, forgot about the time. Only to be reminded by the shrill sound of my watch as it indicated the hour.
72 “It’s six, aren’t we going home yet?” I asked Nina. “This is already my tenth cup of Coke. I’m starting to get a tummy ache.”
73 “You big baby.” She laughed. “Have another one, we paid for it. Here, I’ll get you another. Give me your cup.”
74 “I don’t want one anymore. Thank you. How about we just stroll around the mall? Please?”
75 “Oh all right. Let’s go.”

76 “Nina, I think it’s really time to go home.” I told her as I realized that we’ve passed the sports store for the third time.
77 “But it’s only eight,” she grumbled.
78 “What!? It’s eight already? Aren’t you supposed to be home by nine? I’m taking you home, now! Tita Lilay will kill me for sure if I don’t get you home on time.”
79 She looked at me and said, “Hatid mo ako? How sweet.”
80 “Could I say no?”
81 “No. It’s because you love me.”
82 I smiled.


83 We stopped our walk in front of her house.
84 “Well, here you are, home safely.”
85 “Yup, here I am. Thank you for such a nice day, Red.”
86 “You’re always welcome. Call or text me if you want to go out again.”
87 “Sure, take care going home now. Call me to let me know you arrived. Can’t sleep knowing you’re not safe.”

88 She smiled, gave me a peck on the cheek and entered the gate.

89 I looked at my watch as it chimed the time. Nine o’clock, just on time. Nine o’clock, just like the usual. I sighed as I started my way home. I wondered when we could go out again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm half gay. That makes me 1/4 female.

Adventure update

Inanities